Monday, June 23, 2008

THE CONCH

I had my first meeting with the 'Real Life Educators in SL' group and it was a great experience.  The meeting filled up quickly and there was no real agenda.  Various threads in conversation opened up and one topic that caught most of the avatars attention was 'what is appropriate dress?' for both RLstudents and for their avatars.  Most agreed that naked is inappropriate, but everything else is creative and up for discussion. 

RL educators in SL

During this meeting I revealed the project titled THE CONCH.  One of the things I find hinders most people from using SL, aside from the name, is the interface.  Even most people I know who navigate Web 2.0 tools with ease are still confused once you add depth and flying into their World.  My original idea was sparked by recent obsession with the Harry Potter books and how I had been programming a wand to react to voice commands.   I wondered if some things that educators do (blog, teleporting, email, etc) could benefit from a device that also works on voice commands.  The object could be anything you want it's just the code attached to it that matters.  A prototype is being developed that hopefully will have several functions and will be available on IML Island.  This is an object that will be like any other open source project out there and will be FREE and a system in place for version updates and distribution. 

The Conch
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: