Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Foundation

The first thing I did when I had access to the island was flatten it and I removed all of the water. I am still toying with the idea of having no 'real life' representation on the island. However I wanted to take advantage of the aesthetic and technical differences that water can bring to the environment. High levels of water cause light levels to be lower and therefore less resources needed to render. Have half your environment always dark has it's advantages such as letting you see how objects will look in low light without forcing the sun to change. What I learned is that all of SL has water set to 20 meters so raising/lowering it caused a visual gap in the water edge. I raised walls made of stone on all of the edges of the island and than raised the water. We now have a giant lake inside of a virtual ocean.

No comments: